Carnamah Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from Carnamah
Carnamah is a small town located in the Mid West region of Western Australia. Despite its small size, it has produced a number of distinguished and famous people who have left their mark on the world in their respective fields. Here are just a few examples:
1. Bill Sewell - Bill Sewell was a World War II veteran who served in the Middle East and Papua New Guinea. After the war, he became a respected farmer and community leader, serving on the local council and as president of the local RSL. He was also a keen historian, and wrote a number of books about the history of the Carnamah region.
2. Len Ainsworth - Len Ainsworth was a businessman and entrepreneur best known for founding the gaming machine company Aristocrat. Ainsworth grew up in Carnamah and attended the local school before going on to study electrical engineering in Perth. He later returned to Carnamah to work on his family's farm before moving to Sydney to start his own business.
3. Howard Taylor - Howard Taylor was an artist and sculptor who spent much of his life in Carnamah. His work is known for its abstract forms and use of natural materials, such as wood and stone. Taylor's sculptures can be found in public spaces throughout Western Australia and beyond, including the National Gallery of Australia in Canberra.
4. Kevin Bloody Wilson - Kevin Bloody Wilson is a comedian and musician known for his irreverent and often controversial humor. Wilson grew up in Carnamah and worked as a shearer and miner before starting his entertainment career in the late 1970s. He has released numerous albums and performed extensively throughout Australia and overseas.
5. William Dampier - William Dampier was an English explorer and buccaneer who visited the Carnamah region in the late 17th century. He is credited with being the first person to map the coast of Western Australia and was also an early observer of Australian flora and fauna. Despite his reputation as a pirate, Dampier was also a skilled navigator and naturalist.
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people who have come from the region of Carnamah. Their contributions to fields as diverse as farming, art, entertainment, exploration, and more are a testament to the richness and diversity of this small but significant corner of Western Australia.